Monday, June 29, 2009

rising to Marrakech

rising to Marrakech

| | Comments (0) | TrackBacks (0)

DSCN1922.JPGEverything went without a hitch yesterday and today. It is amazing to see how many things have not changed, even when there would be no reason for them to do so. I spotted a few faces I remember, and a couple even remembered me.

The main square of Marrakechs medina is called the Djemma el Fna. It is the number one tourist destination in Morocco. It is active 24/7, but its peak time is after sundown. This is marked the maghreb call to prayer, which resounds dramatically throughout the medina from the minarets of 3 different mosques. After this time, the non Moroccan tourists are mostly siphoned into the restaurants and hotels, while the square is flooded with Moroccan visitors.

During the day time, between the sun, dusty pavement, and constant sensory activity coming at you from all angles, Marrakech can chew you up really fast. Staying fed and hydrated cannot be underestimated. I walked with some friends through the pink high walled mazes of the medina. It seems like the souqs just go on until they are absorbed into residential houses twinned by shops between them.

Tomorrow I get in my first round with a shopkeeper. Business is slow, he warned me, but I will be satisfied if I can get in even one good sample.

No comments:

Post a Comment