Monday, June 29, 2009

wrapping up

wrapping up

| | Comments (2) | TrackBacks (0)

Back in Marrakech today. I am spending these last few days taking some last minute notes between goodbyes. There is only so much I can do in nine days, but I am very pleased with what I did manage to get done. Starting as an independent study that will give me a boost for grad school applications, I can say that this time has turned just as much into a scouting tour for future projects. I already know that this time has been indispensible for that reason and for the fact that now I have better ideas on how to approach and organize this kind of research. I can definitely spend more time here if it means working with people as fantastic as I have.

In the past week I have learned more Darija (Moroccan Arabic) than I did in a month last year. This is the result of being in the same place for periods of time with very patient people (and maybe a translator around as a buffer) who speak not a word of my language. It is also how I learned Spanish, and I would think it is the only way to really learn a new language passably if it were not for the Moroccans that I met that can speak non Moroccan languages without really having been forced to. They are definitely not shy about what they know and it is something to learn from. Ma tahashumsh! they tell me. Don't be shy. This is how they learn, and once I am forced to get over my shyness in order to make it through a day, the effect is exponential in terms of progress. In the grander scheme, it is drops in the ocean of this language, but it has made a world of difference between myself and every single Moroccan person I talk to.


TWZ said:


Glad you got a lot of notes for your research! I've been following this blog. Told Superman Josh about it, don't know if he's read it or not.

I'll be at the airport between 12:30 and one tomorrow. See ya then.

-- TWZ

Brian said:

I feel like I was there. I like the analysis on barganing. I would never think that they didn't stay with set pricing. Pretty cool

No comments:

Post a Comment